Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Chapter 15

After a long discussion, Jun Su and I decided to put my illness behind us, and kept it from his parents.

“We can’t let them know,” I said. “They would worry.”

“I was gonna tell my mother so that she can look out for you while you’re preparing for our wedding. I want her to make sure you’re not overworked.”

“And you want to add to her stress by having her watch me 24/7? No, Jun Su. Don’t be crazy.”

“I guess you’re right,” he conceded. And we decided not to tell his family.

It was finally the day of my wedding. I woke up that morning and stared at the ceiling. By this time tomorrow, I’ll be waking up with Jun Su beside me. By this time tomorrow, I’ll be Mrs. Kim. I smiled to myself at the thought of it. I’d always imagined myself to be alone for life, until I met Jun Su.

I remembered lying to him about wanting the Stevie Wonder CD back when we first met. I’d told him that I wanted it as a present for my father. When he found out that I had no parents, he’d been livid.

“How can you tell such a lie?” he exclaimed.

“Come on,” I said. “Would you have let me have it just like that?”

“I might have,” he said.

“You liar!”

“Fine… I wouldn’t have,” he admitted.

“You see…”

“I can’t believe it,” he laughed.

“Neither can I,” I smiled.

Dae In came to pick me up and brought me to the stylist who was going to dress me, put on my makeup and do my hair. We arrived at the church 2 hours later and Dae In helped me out of the car after getting out first. She closed the door and started arranging my train as the driver drove the car away. We walked into the church and were greeted by Jun Su’s mother at the corridor.

“You look beautiful, my dear,” she smiled.

I was wearing a cream coloured, empire cut, strapless dress. The skirt was a little flared, but not puffy and it touched the floor with a little train extending out at the back. I had a short veil and around my neck, I wore the diamond necklace Jun Su’s parents had given me as an engagement present. In my ears were the matching diamond earrings.

Since I was an orphan and I had no relatives in Korea, Jun Ho was going to give me away. I met up with him at the door. Dae In gave me a hug before she walked into the church with Jun Su’s mother.

“Ready to go?” he smiled.

“What if I’m not?”

“I’ll have to haul you in, then. Cos that’s what Jun Su asked me to do,” he winked.

“Then I’ll just come quietly. I don’t want to be hauled around like a piece of meat,” I laughed.

The string quartet, Jun Su’s parents had invited, started playing, and the doors opened slowly. I linked my arm with Jun Ho’s and we started walking. There were about 200 people in the church, and each of them turned to look at me expectantly. What were they thinking? Were they judging me? Were they wondering why a family of Jun Su’s stature would allow their son to marry a nobody like me? I looked away from the crowd and focused on Jun Su, he was grinning at me, like he’d won the lottery. Beside him stood Yoo Chun, looking bored. As I passed the final row in the aisle, I turned to look at Dae In.

“Hwaiting!” she mouthed, and I smiled.

Jun Su extended his hand to me, and I took it. No turning back now. The memories of everything that we’d been through together flashed through my mind. From now on, there were new memories to make and a new life ahead. I felt like I was floating and I wasn’t even listening to what the pastor was saying. Somehow, I managed to automatically recite my vows when it was my turn.

“You may now kiss the bride,” the pastor finally said.

Jun Su turned to face me, and leaned down to kiss me. Cheers erupted in the church when he kissed me and as he pulled away, he smiled at me. There was something about his smile that day. It was different from the smiles he usually had. It looked at lot like contentment.

The church service was over and we were at the wedding reception. We’d taken advantage of the cool weather, since it was just the beginning of autumn, and decided to have the reception in tents, outdoors. Jun Su and I swayed slowly to ‘You Were Meant for Me’, our song. It was the very first song we’d danced to, as a couple, and Jun Su had made sure they were playing it at our wedding. As we danced, he sang softly into my ears.

The sky darkened, with night approaching. Jun Su and I changed out of our wedding finery and walked out towards the car waiting to take us to the airport. We were going to Bora Bora for our honeymoon. I stopped halfway down the pathway to the car, to throw my bouquet at the girls waiting. After I did, Dae In and Jun Su’s parents came to hug us.

“Take care of onni, Jun Su oppa,” Dae In told Jun Su.

“I will,” he smiled.

“Enjoy yourselves,” Jun Su’s parents said.

“We will,” I replied.

“You guys forgot about me?” Yoo Chun suddenly appeared.

“Yoo Chun,” Jun Su smiled, and they gave each other a brotherly hug.

“Have fun,” he winked at us, and we both laughed. Yoo Chun would always be incorrigible.

We got into the car and turned behind to wave as we drove off.

“Are you ready, Mrs. Kim?” Jun Su asked me as he took my hand in his.

“I’m ready, Mr. Kim,” I replied confidently, and he kissed me.

No comments: