Monday, January 1, 2007

Chapter 5

Sunday came, and it was the day of Yoo Chun and Dae In’s engagement. I sat with Dae In in her room at the hotel where the banquet will be held. She looked beautiful, despite looking pale and wan, as she sat facing the window. She had on a beautiful off-white, chiffon Dior gown. It had a simple toga top which flowed down, all the way to her feet, clinging to her curves lightly and on her feet was a pair of strappy, sparkling Jimmy Choos. She’d let her hair down and had it blown out to look a little wavy. Her father had spent a fortune on today’s event; her union with Yoo Chun must really be a big merger.

“Dae In,” I walked up to her. “Do you want some water?”

“I’m fine,” she murmured as she stared blankly at the skyline outside the window.

“Just holler if you need anything,” I said. “I’m gonna zip to the loo for a bit.”

She nodded wordlessly, still not looking at me. I was worried about Dae In. Ever since the day she found out she was to marry Yoo Chun, she’d become a zombie. Did she hate Yoo Chun? Was she hurt by Yoo Chun’s attitude? I could kill that guy. Ssagaji…

I stared at my reflection in the mirror. I was wearing a strapless, bluish-grey dress which ended and flared out just above my knees. I studied my face. What attracted Jun Su in the first place? And now, what attracted Yoo Chun? I did not fulfill the conventional criterias for a Korean beauty. I’d always looked foreign. Perhaps that translated as exotic in some twisted way. I’d kept Yoo Chun’s confession from Dae In. Actually, I’d pretended it never happened. I didn’t have that sort of feelings for Yoo Chun and I never will. At this moment, all I want is to put the incident behind me and make sure that Dae In is happily married. As much as I wish for her freedom from this, I knew it was impossible. Her life had been mapped out for her from the day she was born.

I walked beside Dae In as we entered the holding room adjoining the banquet hall. Yoo Chun was waiting there with Jun Su.

“Sierra, waseo!” Jun Su smiled brightly when he saw me. He walked towards me, then grabbed me by the hand and twirled me. I laughed as I spun giddily. “You look beautiful today,” he said.

“It’s called the power of money,” I smiled. Dae In’s father had paid for my gown since I was to be the maid of honor.

“I love this dress, it makes you look so hot,” he said as he put his arm around my waist and we walked towards Yoo Chun and Dae In, who were getting ready for their entrance behind the door leading to the banquet hall.

“You’re here,” Yoo Chun said. He didn’t smile and his eyes looked emotionless. He was nothing like the Yoo Chun I used to see. I actually felt sorry for him, but quickly shook it off when I was reminded how he’d treated Dae In.

“Congratulations,” I said.

“Thanks, I guess,” he smiled, and you could see it was one of those bitter, half-hearted smiles. “Ready?” he asked Dae In as he held out his arm.

“Ne,” she said softly linked her arm through his.

“Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the reasons we are here today, Park Yoo Chun-shi and Han Dae In-shi…” we heard the MC announce.

The doors opened and we were blinded by the spotlights that were trained onto Yoo Chun and Dae In. A Rachmaninoff’s 18th variation of the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini played as Yoo Chun and Dae In walked towards the stage. Jun Su and I walked out of the room the moment the spotlights followed them away from the door and sat at the table we’d been assigned to.

Yoo Chun and Dae In’s fathers made a speech while the both of them sat at a table on the stage. They thanked all the family, friends and business associates for attending and ended their speech with a toast.

“To the Han and Park empire!” Yoo Chun’s father said as he raised his glass.

“From now on, we shall be united and stronger than ever,” Dae In’s father bellowed.

It sickened me to hear the way the two of their fathers’ talked. It felt like their children were bred for the sole purpose of expanding their empires. I pitied Dae In and Yoo Chun. Their lives will always be at the mercy of their parents. I turned to look at Jun Su and he smiled at me.

“Don’t worry about the two of them,” he whispered. “They’ll get over it soon enough. Yoo Chun’s not a total brat. He’ll be nice to Dae In.” He squeezed my hand reassuringly, and I squeezed back.

We cheered loudly as Yoo Chun and Dae In cut their engagement cake. They looked like such a great couple; Dae In in her off-white Dior gown and Yoo Chun in his off-white Armani tuxedo. They were smiling for the photographers, and they actually looked happy. Dae In told me much later that they’d been trained to smile for the press since they were teenagers. It was all part of being the offspring of the CEOs of the two largest conglomerates in Korea.

After the banquet, I walked up to Dae In and touched her arm lightly.

“Onni,” she smiled as she turned to look at me. “Thank you for being here today.”

“It’s the least I could do,” I smiled. “It's a new life for you from now on,” I said. I could feel tears in my eyes as I looked at her sad expression.

“I know,” she smiled bravely.

“You’ll do great,” I said, and I hugged her.

“Komawo, onni,” she whispered.

No comments: