Monday, January 15, 2007

Chapter 11

It’s been 2 months since Jun Su proposed. I’m now at the bridal shop, getting fitted into my wedding gown. Unlike Dae In’s, mine wasn’t an imported designer creation.

“Don't you want a dress you could cherish forever?” Jun Su asked me.

“What makes you think only designer gowns are cherished? I don’t need such an expensive gown.”

“Let her be, Jun Su,” his mother piped in. “I’m already happy to see that my soon-to-be daughter-in-law in a practical woman,” she smiled.

Our engagement party had been a big but simple affair. Jun Su was beaming throughout the entire thing and I could not help but smile back at him. So this was the man I would be spending the rest of my life with. After we’d cut the cake, Jun Su held my hand to his lips and kissed it; everyone cheered when he did.

“Ch’uk’ahamnida!” Jun Su’s schoolmate, Chang Min, came up to congratulate us on his way out.

“Thanks for coming,” Jun Su smiled as he hugged him.

“No problem,” he smiled, then he turned to me. “Nuna, you have to keep him in check from now on,” Chang Min grinned.

“Don’t worry,” I laughed. “I will,” I said as I looked at Jun Su meaningfully.

“Chang Min,” Jun Su gasped. “How can you tell her that? Now she’s gonna think that she’s the boss of me.”

“But I am,” I smiled. “Am I not?” I added as I changed my expression to one of mock seriousness. Jun Su paused for a moment to study my expression. Chang Min looked on nervously as the tension that seemed to be brewing.

“Yes you are,” Jun Su laughed and I jabbed him in the ribs as I laughed with him.

[Dae In’s P.O.V]

I’m with Sierra onni at her gown fitting. Jun Su oppa was in the other room, getting fit into his tuxedo. I looked at my mobile phone; Yoo Chun hadn’t called. He’d been making it a habit to call me at least twice a day; before lunch and on his way home. I looked at onni, and I envied her happiness. I wasn’t as happy as she was before I got married.

I can still remember her face during her engagement party. She looked blissfully happy and so did Jun Su oppa. They looked like they were meant for each other. I caught them stealing glances at each other when the other was not looking, and I envied the looks of love they gave each other. Then again, my marriage hadn’t turned out too bad either. At least not as bad as I’d expected it to be. During the entire wedding banquet, Yoo Chun and I plastered smiles on our faces. As soon as we were alone, we stopped smiling. The ride to the airport was uncomfortably silent and the flight there remained pretty much the same. But despite all that, the honeymoon turned out to be a pleasant trip. If anyone wondered, yes, Yoo Chun and I have consummated our marriage. I wasn’t even expecting him to since he’d acted like he hated me before we got married.

It happened a few days before we were due to return to Korea. We’d been caught in the rain on our way back to the hotel from dinner.

“Go shower,” Yoo Chun said as he pushed me into the bathroom.

“But you’re soaked. I’ve only got a few drops of rain splashed on me,” I protested. Yoo Chun had taken off his jacket to shield me from the rain, a gesture which I would have never expected from him. I guess he was a gentleman after all.

“I’ll be fine,” he said, as he closed the bathroom door.

I emerged from the shower to find him sleeping on the bed, on top of the covers. He’d changed out of his wet clothes and was wearing a bathrobe. The bathrobe had come apart a little, and I could see his chest and his thigh peeking through it. It made me feel queasy. Actually, I’m not even sure that ‘queasy’ is the right word to describe it. Let’s just say I felt something that I’d never felt before around Yoo Chun.

“Oppa,” I nudged him. “Oppa, wake up.”

“Hmm?” he said as he opened one eye.

“Go shower before you catch a cold,” I said.

He looked at me with an odd expression. He’d never looked at me like that before. I could feel his eyes boring into me, as if he could read my heart. I was starting to feel nervous. He reached out one hand and looked at me expectantly.

“Nawa,” he said in his deep, warm voice and I had no other option but to obey. I put my hand in his and allowed him to guide me onto the bed. I was wearing a bathrobe too and my hair was still wet from washing it earlier. Yoo Chun lay me down beside him and his fingers came to comb through my hair, bit by bit, as he spread them out on top of the pillow I lay on. When he was done with that task, his fingers came to rest of my cheek, and he slowly traced a line down my chin.

“Yoo Chun,” I whispered. I didn’t dare say anything else.

“Shh…” he said and he bent down to kiss me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hm yoochun wasn't at the engagement party??wonder what's he up to...