Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Chapter 9

“Weren’t you looking for Jun Su?” I asked him.

“Stop acting all innocent,” he said. “You knew I was looking for you.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I said as I tried to walk off. He grabbed my arm and pulled me back. “Leave me alone,” I yelled at him.

“You really don’t have a shred of feeling for me, do you?” he asked.

“No,” I said as I glared at him.

“Fine, leave,” he said.

I walked off as fast as I could and I didn’t dare turn back to look at Yoo Chun. I’d thought that he’d finally put everything behind him. It seem like he hasn’t. How can I make him see that I will never reciprocate his feelings?

I’m sitting in a cafe with Jun Su. It’s been more than 6 months since we started dating, and the day I dreaded was finally here. I was going to meet his parents. Jun Su stood up and waved as soon as they walked through the door. Jun Su’s mother was a beautiful woman; stylish and classy. Jun Su once told me that she was an aspiring actress before she married Jun Su’s father. Jun Su’s father was a very distinguished man. From the minute you see him, you can sense that he was refined and cultured, just like Jun Su. Following closely behind them was Jun Su’s brother, Jun Ho. I’ve met Jun Ho on several occasions and have found him to be funny and almost as adorable as his brother. Jun Su and Jun Ho were actually fraternal twins, but they looked nothing alike, save for a few common features. Jun Ho was much taller than Jun Su and I’d often teased him for being the shorter one, despite being older.

“Oma, appa,” Jun Su called out brightly as his parents approached the table. “This is Sierra.”

“Omoni, aboji,” I bowed.

“Please,” Jun Su’s mother smiled. “There’s no need to be formal with us. Just treat us as you would your friends.”

“Oh… I can’t possibly,” I said as I smiled. “You’re Jun Su’s parents.”

“Yes, and we will be family soon,” Jun Su’s father laughed and I could feel my face turning red.

“Appa,” Jun Ho said as he sat down. “Don’t embarrass the poor girl. If you scare her away, there won’t be anyone else to marry hyung.”

“Right,” Jun Su laughed as he put his arm around me.

We sat down and the waitress came to take the orders for their drinks. Jun Su’s mother started questioning me while waiting for the drinks to arrive.

“So, Sierra. You’re not local are you?” she said.

“Come on. Just take a look at her. Do any of our Korean girls look as exotic as she does?” Jun Su’s father exclaimed.

“Of course not,” she smiled. “And I’m sure you will have really beautiful children with Jun Su in the future.”

“Oma!” Jun Su exclaimed as I lowered my head and blushed again.

“Come now, Jun Su. We’re here today to see the girl you intend to marry. I think children are within the topics up for discussion today,” she said. “Right, Sierra?”

“Erm… ne,” I nodded.

“See…” Jun Su mother turned to look at him. “Your mother is never inappropriate,” she smiled.

“So where do you work?” Jun Su’s father asked.

“I work for a small language school. We cater to schools in need of substitute English language teachers.”

“How nice!” Jun Su’s mother exclaimed. “Our Jun Ho needs a lot of work with his English. Maybe you can help him.”

“Kamsahamnida,” Jun Ho smiled to his mother. “You’ve just advertised my stupidity to my future sister-in-law.”

“But you’re not doing well. So you need help, don't you?” she said.

“Ne,” Jun Ho sighed.

We were interrupted briefly when the drinks arrived. I took the opportunity to take a few deep breaths. They seemed to be really nice people. But somehow, I felt so foreign among them.

“So when would you kids like to get married?” Jun Su’s father asked and I almost choked on my coffee. Jun Su laughed when he saw my face.

“Actually, I’ve told them everything before they came to meet you today. Today’s meeting was just to confirm my decision,” Jun Su explained.

He stood up and fished his pocket to produce a box; a ring box to be exact. He knelt down on one knee in front of me and took my hands.

“Sierra, will you marry me?” he asked. I looked at his parents, and they were smiling happily. It was a relieve to know that they liked and approved of me, but it was also awkward to be proposed to in front of them. I looked at Jun Su. He was looking at me and his eyes were filled with hope. “Marry me?” he repeated. He looked so endearing and my heart was bursting with love for him at that moment.

“Yes,” I said as tears filled my eyes. Jun Su got up and hugged me as soon as I gave my answer.

“Ya… hyung, ch’uk’ahamnida!” Jun Ho said as he patted Jun Su on the back.

The other patrons of the cafe were looking at us with curiosity. Jun Su stood up and faced everyone there.

“I’m getting married!” he shouted and the entire cafe looked at him as if he’d gone mad. Then someone started clapping and everyone else followed.

“Jun Su,” I hissed at him and pulled him to sit down beside me. I was so embarrassed that I could feel my face burning. But at the same time, I felt like the happiest girl alive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AAAAAH XD !!
UNNIES GETTING MARRIED
yaay XD !