Monday, January 1, 2007

Chapter 4

“Engagement?” we all exclaimed as we stared at him.

“Didn’t I tell you, Jun Su? My father have arranged for me to marry the daughter of one of their friends. Friend my foot! It’s just a way for him to make another business merger,” Yoo Chun bit out angrily.

I knew Yoo Chun was rich, but I didn’t think he had a father who would try to run his life.

“But you’re not working for your father, are you?” I asked him.

“I will be, after I get married,” he sighed.

“What a coincidence,” Dae In said. “I’m getting engaged this weekend too.”

“You are?” Yoo Chun looked at her. “I’m sorry, I didn’t catch your full name earlier. What was it?”

“Han Dae In,” Dae In said slowly and as soon as she did, Yoo Chun’s face lit up in recognition, and it wasn’t the happy kind of recognition.

“So it’s you,” he said darkly.

“What?” I exclaimed.

“You’re Park Yoo Chun?” Dae In exclaimed.

“Yes, pangapsumnida,” he said sarcastically. “I’m leaving,” he said as he threw down some bills from his wallet. “Talk to you later, Jun Su.”

I was aghast at Yoo Chun’s behavior. I felt so bad for Dae In, who was sitting there looking really upset. I know that Yoo Chun wasn’t the nicest of guys, but he was being a real jerk about this. It’s not like Dae In wasn’t forced into this. I got up and chased after him.

“Sierra,” Jun Su called after me.

“Be right back,” I said as I walked out the door.

“Yah!! Yoo Chun!” I shouted at him. He ignored me and continued walking.

“Park Yoo Chun,” I shouted again and this time he stopped, but did not turn around. I caught up with him and turned him around by grabbing his shoulder. “What was that back there?”

“What do you mean?” he said.

“You were so freakin’ rude to Dae In. What’s your problem?” I yelled at him.

“She is,” he said.

“She wasn’t a willing party either. And you’re the guy, you can reject the marriage much more easily than she can.”

“You think it’s so simple? Our parents are power crazy. They think this ‘merger’ will make them undefeatable.”

“So? It’s your parents, not her. I was right to have a bad feeling when she told me she had an arranged marriage. It did turn out that she was to marry a ssagaji like you!”

“Mwo? Ssagaji?”

“Yes, you ssagaji! Ssagaji!!” I yelled at him.

Suddenly, Yoo Chun grabbed me and kissed me hard on the lips. It took me split second to realized what he was doing since I was in shock. I pushed away and swung my arm, slapping his face.

“Neo michoso?” I yelled at him.

“Keurae, na michin,” he laughed bitterly as his hand went to his cheek. “I’m going mad because of you.”

“What are you talking about?”

“The main reason I don’t want to get married, is because of you. Saranghae,” Yoo Chun said.

I continued to stare at him, speechless. Had he really gone mad? I was dating Jun Su. How can he love me if I was dating Jun Su?

“I don’t believe you,” I said.

“I didn’t want to tell you,” he said. “I thought I had time. I didn’t think Jun Su would date you for more than 2 months. He usually ended his relationships within a month. He must really like you.”

“Keuman,” I said softly. “Stop this right, now.”

“I can’t,” he said. “I’m already in too deep.”

No comments: