Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Chapter 10

My doorbell rang repeatedly and I squinted at my clock. It’s 9am on a Saturday. Who could it be? I rolled off the bed onto the floor on all fours, slipped on my Mashimaro slippers and padded sleepily out of my room, towards the front door. When I opened it, Dae In attacked me with a hug.

“Onni!! Omigod! Onni!!” she squealed.

“Dae In… waegurae?” I said sleepily.

“You’re getting married? I just heard from Yoo Chun,” she said excitedly as she took a step back.

“Oh… that? Yea. Jun Su proposed yesterday. Come on in,” I said as I turned around and walked in.

“Aren’t you excited?” she asked.

“I’m scared shitless,” I replied as I yawned again.

“Huh? Why?”

“I’m getting married, Dae In. It’s a huge deal!”

“Haha! Of course it is,” she laughed.

“But of course, it won’t be as huge as yours.”

“Well, Jun Su’s family aren’t as rich as Yoo Chun’s and mine, but Jun Su’s the eldest. So it could end up a real big event.”

“And that’s exactly what I’m not keen on.”

“Why?”

“I’m nobody. I’m a foreigner. I’m not from an elite family. I feel so inferior next to you guys.”

“Nonsense, onni! You’re one of us. Social background does not matter.”

“You have such an illustrious social background. You wouldn’t understand.”

“Onni… I’m sure that’s not the kind of girl Jun Su’s parents want for their son. They’re more liberal than most of the rich families I know.”

“I hope so,” I sighed.

Just then, I could hear my mobile phone ringing from my room.

“Chamkan,” I said to Dae In as I ran into my room to get it. I looked at the caller ID and frowned when I saw it was Yoo Chun. What did he want now?

“Yoboseyo,” I answered.

“Congratulations,” he drawled.

“What do you want?” I said curtly.

“I called to congratulate you, and I get hostility?”

“Thank you, Yoo Chun,” I said as sweetly as I could as I walked out to the living room. “You must want to talk to Dae In,” I added.

“What? She’s there?” Yoo Chun said.

“Chamshimanyo,” I said. “Dae In, your husband,” and I handed my phone to her.

“Who?” she asked.

“Yoo Chun, your husband,” I laughed.

“Oh…” she laughed. “Yoo Chun,” she answered, “What’s up?”

I sat there and watched her converse with him. I can picture him churning out his lines, convincing her that this was some friendly call to congratulate me.

“Nae,” Dae In said, “see you at home,” and she hung up.

“You guys are so sweet,” I smiled.

“Don’t tease me, onni,” she laughed as she handed my phone back to me.

“But you are,” I insisted. “I’m glad that things are turning out well for the both of you,” and I meant it.

Even though Yoo Chun did not stop calling me, I could sense now that he did care for Dae In. I know now that he wouldn’t want to hurt her. Perhaps someday, he would be able to put all this behind him and devote himself to her.

“So when’s the big day?” Dae In asked.

I smiled and I told her every single detail of the whole meeting I had with Jun Su’s family yesterday.

1 comment:

jiayoong. said...

finally! very short though :P