Monday, January 1, 2007

Chapter 7

I sat in the spacious drawing room in Dae In’s family’s mansion, sipping tea from a delicate cup and saucer. This was the first time I’ve been to Dae In’s house and I was in awe. How did she survive all those months living in that ratty apartment with me when she lived in this mansion all her life?

“Dae In will be down in a moment,” the housekeeper informed me politely.

“Ne,” I nodded and she walked out of the room.

10 minutes later Dae In appeared.

“Onni,” she smiled.

“Dae In,” I smiled and stood up.

“Sit down,” she said and she pulled me down beside her on the lounge.

“Everything ready for the big day?” I asked her.

“Actually, I don’t have much to do except turn up for fittings and the dinner rehearsals. The rest of the decisions are taken care of by my mother.”

“Aren’t you lucky,” I teased.

“Hmm… now if only Yoo Chun oppa paid more attention to me,” she said. She was smiling when she said that, as if she was telling a joke, but I knew behind her smile she was actually sad. I hated Yoo Chun for making her feel this way. Why couldn’t he just accept his fate and make the best of it?

“I’m sure he will once you’re married,” and I prayed to god that it will happen.

“So what brings you here today?” she asked me.

“Just dropped by to see how you’re getting on without me,” I grinned. “I can see it’s much better here than back where you used to live with me.”

“Of course not, onni,” she gasped. “I feel so lonely here. How I wish you could move here and talk to me everyday.”

“And what would I do for money?” I asked her.

“My father has buckets of it. Help yourself,” she winked.

“I don’t think your father needs another daughter,” I laughed.

“Right… he’d probably marry you off to some business partner’s son if you were his daughter,” she sighed.

I had nothing to say in response to that and I was in no position to comment on it. I can’t tell her that I understand, because there is no way in this world that anyone, other than Dae In, would understand how it felt to be in this predicament. I could only hold her hand and watch her as she cried. There were no tears, but I knew in her heart, she was crying.

The day of the wedding finally came. The ceremony was held in a huge cathedral and will be followed by brunch at a 6-star hotel and it was a huge and memorable affair. Dae In looked resplendent in a white Vera Wang creation, while Yoo Chun was the white knight he was meant to be on that day. Both of them wore blissful smiles for every photo taken and it had me wondering; did their face hurt from the entire pretense?

As the lavish brunch ended, Yoo Chun and Dae In left the hotel and got into the limo which would take them to the airport. They were going to Europe for their honeymoon. I looked on as they got in, and Jun Su came up to put his arm around me.

“Don’t worry about them,” he said. “They’ll work it out during the honeymoon and we’re gonna see a happy couple when they get back.”

“I really hope so,” I smiled.

“Let’s go in and dance some more,” he smiled and pulled me away from the verandah overlooking the entrance of the hotel.

It’s been a few days since Dae In and Yoo Chun left for Europe; I wonder how the honeymoon was going. I’m meeting Jun Su for a movie today. He’d been bugging me for a week to watch Happy Feet with him. I finally found the time and the mood today. He bought the tickets while I went to buy us some drinks and popcorn. Before the movie had even started, we were halfway through the popcorn. It got a little cold during the movie and I nudged him.

“Jun Su,” I whispered.

“Wae?” he whispered back.

“I’m cold,” I said and his arm immediately came around me and pulled me close. I snuggled against him for the rest of the movie and at some point, I fell asleep.

“Sierra,” he nudged me sometime later.

“Hmm?” I mumbled sleepily.

“The movie’s over,” he smiled. “Let’s go.”

“Already?” I asked as I stretched and yawned.

“Yes, sleepyhead. You must be really tired to be able to fall asleep like that.”

“You were so comfortable, I couldn’t help myself,” I grinned as I stood up.

As we walked out of the Cineplex, my phone rang. I looked at the caller ID; it was Yoo Chun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

O NO !! ITS YOOCHUN 0_0 !!
OHH !!