Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Chapter 27

It was decided that I would stay with Dae In and Yoo Chun until things were resolved.

Yoo Chun had found Dae In and I talking in the living room and joined in. Apparently, Jun Su had called him when he discovered that I was gone.

“What’s all this about?” Yoo Chun asked me. “Jun Su was livid. He called me and asked me if I’ve seen you.”

“What did you say?”

“I said I hadn’t. Because I didn’t know you were here when he called.”

“Good.”

“Onni,” Dae In spoke up. “You can’t hide from him like that. He must be worried sick.”

“I thought he was too angry to be worried.”

“He was angry, but I could sense that he was worried about you,” Yoo Chun said.

“I won’t go back. If I do, he’ll make me abort this baby.”

“You’re pregnant,” Yoo Chun said, surprised.

“Yes.”

“So what’s the problem? Why would Jun Su make you abort the baby? I know he loves children.”

“Because she could die if she had this baby,” Dae In answered for me.

“What?” Yoo Chun exclaimed.

“Onni has acute cardiomyopathy,” Dae In explained. “She can die of a heart attack any time. Giving birth could be too much for her.”

“Then get rid of the baby,” Yoo Chun said. Why did all men share the same points of view?

“I won’t. I’d die anyway. I might as well die after doing something worthwhile.”

“You’re just sending yourself to an early grave, Sierra. You could live many more years if you don’t have this baby.”

“No one knows for sure. It’s been more than a year now. Since the time you had that minor accident. The doctor has not reported any improvement in my condition. So I decided that I was going to do this.”

“What about Jun Su? What is he going to do if you die?” Yoo Chun asked me.

“Raise our child,” I replied calmly.

“Do you think this is the way? To leave your child motherless just so you could fulfill a life goal?” he said, almost raising his voice.

“It’s not like that, Yoo Chun,” I tried to reason. “I know how much his family wants an heir. I know how much Jun Su wants a child. I only hope that I can stick around long enough to at least hold my baby.”

“Onni, don’t say that!” Dae In said as she started to tear.

Just then, we could hear Sung Jin crying. Dae In wiped her eyes and stood up.

“I’m going to check on Sung Jin,” she said, and she walked off.

“So this is how you want it to play out?” Yoo Chun asked me.

“I see no other way.”

“What are you going to do? Divorce him?” Yoo Chun said.

“He can divorce me if he wants. I’ll remain married to him until our child is born. If I survive after that, maybe we can get divorced.”

“You can’t be serious. After all you’ve been through with Jun Su, you’re going to throw it all away like that?”

“I don’t want it to end like this. But since he won’t be supportive, I’ll have to. I’m sorry to intrude on you and Dae In. Maybe I should find somewhere else to go,” I said as I started to get up.

“No,” Yoo Chun said. “Stay here. At least we can take care of you in Jun Su’s place. Since the both of you are so stubborn.”

“Are you sure? It’s 9 months more to go,” I asked him.

“I’m fine with this. But I’d prefer it if the both of you patched up before you have the baby.”

“Trust me, Jun Su will not come for me,” I said.

I knew in my heart that he wouldn’t, and I’d said it out too. But deep inside me, I wish he would change his mind. I wish he would come and take me home, and fight through this with me.

1 comment:

Loubna Aabid said...

ya!! Onni!
What is this! You'd better write something brighter ok?! I wish everything will be ok with Sierra's family ^^