Thursday, March 8, 2007

Chapter 23

[Sierra’s POV]
I woke up the next morning, and my eyes felt like they were stuck together from crying last night. I was fine the whole night, even throughout dinner. But when Jun Su turned off the lights after we got into bed, the feelings of disappointment I’d suppressed the whole day unleashed themselves.

“Uljima,” he said, as he pulled me close.

“Why me, Jun Su?” I cried against his chest.

“It’s God’s will for now,” he replied. “We’ll have children someday. We will.”

“I really don’t know how I’m going to face your parents if things don’t change,” I sobbed.

“Don’t worry about that. Let me worry about that,” he said. “You just focus on getting your health back in order. Alright?”

I walked into the bathroom and rinsed my face. I stared at my reflection, and I wondered… Was this the price I had to pay for the good life I had? I was nobody, I had nothing, and then I met Jun Su. He loved me, even though I’d doubted him back then. I kept telling myself he was a player, and that he was never going to take someone like me seriously, until he proposed. I never imagined that I would have the life I have now. Am I blessed, or am I cursed?

8 months later, Jun Su and I were pacing up and down outside the delivery room. Yoo Chun and Dae In had been in there for almost 3 hours. Was Dae In alright? It wasn’t until another hour later that Yoo Chun finally emerged, and he was smiling this goofy smile.

“Well?” Jun Su said as he looked expectantly at Yoo Chun.

“It’s a boy,” Yoo Chun said.

Jun Su whooped, and hugged Yoo Chun.

“Ch’uk’ahamnida!” Jun Su said.

“Komawo,” Yoo Chun grinned broadly.

“Ch’uk’ahamnida,” I said, and I gave Yoo Chun a quick hug.

He was a little sweaty, and he looked tired. But there was no mistaking the joy on his face. He was definitely ecstatic.

We walked into the ward where Dae In was a little later. She was holding her newborn in her arms, and Yoo Chun was sitting beside her on the bed, cooing to the baby. This was definitely a sight of Yoo Chun that most people would never have expected.

“Onni,” Dae In smiled when she saw me. “Come meet my son.”

I walked over and stood beside her. Her baby was beautiful. It made me really want one of my own.

“What’s his name?” I asked her, and I reached out to gently touch the baby’s cheek.

“Park Sung Jin,” she smiled.

“Nice name,” Jun Su said. “I’m so envious of the both of you.”

“You’ll have your own baby soon,” Yoo Chun said. “What’s there to be envious about?” he laughed.

Dae In and Yoo Chun did not know about my heart problems. Jun Su and I had chosen to keep this to ourselves. Hearing Yoo Chun’s statement really made me wish I could have a child, but in the past months, the doctor had said the same thing during all my checkups. I was not fit to be a mother. The look on Jun Su’s face after every meeting with the doctor really tore my heart. He really wanted us to be a family; to have a child and for us to be parents. I wanted to give him what he wanted. It was what I wanted for myself too.

During one of my visits to the hospital, I’d walked to the baby room to watch Sung Jin. It was evident that he took after his father; charismatic from the day he was born.

“Isn’t he the best?” Yoo Chun said, as he came to stand beside me.

“Yes he is,” I smiled.

“I used to think that my life could only be so good, that nothing could top what I had now. When I married Dae In, I was still a spoilt and selfish boy. But now I feel different. From the moment Dae In announced that she was pregnant, my world felt like it had tilted 360 degrees.”

“That’s usually the case.”

“I’m sorry for what I did in the past,” he said.

“What did you do?”

“My attitude towards you,” he said. “It was just my childish pride, my childish infatuation with myself.”

“It’s okay. As long as you are true to Dae In now, all is forgiven.”

“Thanks. I am. I love Dae In, and now that Sung Jin is here, I have another person to be responsible for. I will make sure they live a long and happy life with me,” he smiled.

I smiled when I heard his words. Dae In would be so happy. All her patience and efforts had paid off. Yoo Chun was now a new man; a husband and a father. If only I could salvage my own marriage now.